Friday, May 23, 2014

Best Pie Crust

My mommies pie crust recipe.



Ingredients
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup shortening


Instructions:

Cut shortening into flour until dough is in pea-sized pieces. I like to use coconut oil in place of shortening. 


Mix in a paste made with 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup water. I usually fold it in with a spatula for a little while before I dig in. I don't like messy hands. 


After the paste is folded in pretty good I'll work it a little better with my hands. Sometimes I have to add a couple drops of water to help it become more elastic and less crumbly. Just depends.


Split dough into two balls.





Roll out one and fit into pie pan. I do better at not breaking it into a million pieces of doom if I use the rolling pin for this. Cut off the edging leaving a bit to pinch together with the top crust at the end. Poke several holes with a fork.


Tip: When rolling with a wooden pin dust it lightly with flour a few times during the process. Otherwise it can stick and poke holes in your crust.


Add your filling. I was making berry pie. It looks kind of gross. I guess that's what top crusts are for...


Roll out your top crust using the other ball. 


Cut out a design that is prettier then my deformed swam thing. It functions as a sort of vent so your filling doesn't go bubbling out the sides. 


Roll it up on your rolling pin.


Center it and roll it over your filling.

Then you just trim those sides up again leaving room for the pinching and pinch it and bake it! I usually bake mine at 375 degrees cover with foil for 20-30 minutes and then uncovered for another 20-30 minutes. This prevents over-browning the crust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment