Monday, May 19, 2014

Jewelry Frame Project

I made something! My jewelry box couldn't contain my jewelry any longer. Everything was getting crazy tangles. So I passed it on to my daughter and made this awesome frame for my jewelry. I only got one blister doing it too! I have another frame so I posted it on etsy as a custom order, in case anyone is interested in an awesome jewelry display and storage all-in-one! 


The wooden frame already had a really cool swirly design so I just took a little gold metallic spray paint and spritzed it lightly over the frame to give it some shine.

Then i wrapped the cut fabric over the backing of the frame. I just folded it around, tucking the corners, and stapled it. Here is a good video that shows you how. VIDEO

Then I wrapped my ribbon strands around the backing and wrapped fabric and centered them where I wanted them and stapled those down. I popped it into the frame. 

After that I took a very small screw driver bit and drilled holes in the wood where I wanted the necklace hooks. I used a measuring tape to mark even spacing with a permanent marker. I also screwed holes for the ring bar. I spray painted the bars and left them to dry in the sun. I used the same metallic gold and also red to color the bars and left them to dry


Then there was lots and lots of screwing. That's what she said. :P I got the hooks that have the little screw attached. I only ended up with one little blister! 

After those were secured I had to figure out how to secure the hooks for the bracelet bar. The frame backing was thin cardboard. I just found a random small piece of wood(that's what she said, again!) and screwed holes in it with the tiny bit. Then I lined up the hooks and poked one through the fabric and card board and screwed it into the wood. The second hook gave me trouble. I had to do it over and over because it kept going all crooked. Gosh! I got pretty angry with it and finally forced it to go in straight with my strengths. 

After all the hooks were all secure I hung this beast on the wall, added the dry bars, and started the horrible process of untangling all my necklaces. NOOOOOO!!! I ended up giving half of them to my daughter. Turns out I still have a ton of little girly necklaces in the jewelry box that never made it out because of the tangled ball of doom. But after I was done it turned out looking awesome and matched my bathroom soo cutely. 








No comments:

Post a Comment